Monday, October 21, 2013

Brother Gary Sunday Morning 10/20/13



Brother Gary Sunday Morning 10/20/13
1Ch 29:10  Wherefore David blessed the LORD before all the congregation: and David said, Blessed be thou, LORD God of Israel our father, for ever and ever.
1Ch 29:11  Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.
1Ch 29:12  Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all.
1Ch 29:13  Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name.

Thine is the majesty!  Speaking of God, Supreme and above all in excellence!  Above all in beauty! 

How beautiful a baby is!  I can sense the moment of looking at a baby for the first time.  All of us can remember our first born or when we became grandparents.  In the sense of the lesson this morning only God excels as supreme and above all in beauty.  I have seen lots of ugly lives recently and it is heartbreaking. 

There is an old guitar that sits on the porch of the trailer on the middle street.  I have thought of it and thought of the guitar that Carol received when she painted this painting.  She goes back to it and sees beauty over and over again. 

I don’t know why the guitar is on the porch but the old guitar is not beautiful anymore.  It is sad and heartbreaking when you think of the eternal God that has a design of making things beautiful because He is supreme and above all excelling in beauty.  He is supreme and above all in comeliness. 

The majesty of God in comeliness!  His beauty in dealing with our soul! 

We have been having some excellent lessons on etiquette.  We appreciate them.  The greatest teacher for us, to teach us how we should treat others, is how we have been treated in His comeliness.

The man that wrote this scripture had been very wrong but he learned the excellency of the majesty of God in His visitations.

I don’t remember if God dealt with me before grade school or not.  But I know that God deals with children.  God gave David as a teenager the responsibility of taking charge of the income of the family in taking care of the sheep.  God deals with children very young to be very conscientious of how they are acting and reacting.

Through the seasons of life this prevails but some will not listen to His dealings.

He is supreme in comeliness in His expressions to us. 

The training in our lives:  God trains us after we have been saved.  I remember after salvation the training years of how to pray and testify.  Of being cleansed of the inherited traits not only of the carnal man but the quirky part of our personality.  Some people are in love with themselves and expect others to make much allowance for them.  They may train all around them but they will never train God to make exception for them.

I think of the warnings that God has given me.  He gave me warnings as a young man that if I crossed lines I would be scarred for life.  The marvelous expression of the song the Collingsworth Family sings:  “Oh to think that He loves me.”

Beyond the shadow of a doubt the children in this audience are loved children.  It is not from the majesty of an individual, because we don’t have majesty.  He does.  The Majesty loves children.  When I think of how God thinks about everyone of us and His tender care for us through life.  It is awe-striking. 

He instructs with majesty.  You and I are the best when we don’t know the way.  We are the neediest and the strongest when we are the most humble. 

I had a dad that loved me.  Can you grasp not being loved?  Some of you can.  I cannot.

We need God to give us instruction, “I’ll just go in there and tell him…”  Don’t go.  Please.  But when we realize that we don’t know how, then God can instruct us. 

Don’t forget there are other little boats around you and the storm is terrific. 

The storm around men is devastating.  What it does to men!  I preached to men, Friday.  It was unfortunate that I knew some of them.  I knew their lives and felt their extreme uncomfortableness when I tried to talk to them.  The storm is terrible. 

The storm on women is terrible. 

There is instruction in the Word of God.  There is instruction for that man that was so uncomfortable with me and did not want to talk to me, it was because of sin.  Sin is terrible.

His is the majesty.  From the greatness of God the father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit of God, from the throne proceeds thoughts.  Some are canceled before they ever reach the brain. 

Some of the cancelling thoughts are, “How could I, I have already reached…, and I cannot.”  Those are not his thoughts.  He has already thoughts of beauty and comeliness.

David knew God in all seasons of his life.  You children are blessed this morning.  We must watch as grandparents and parents.  No, we cannot have the buddy system.  It might be in the army but it is not in child-raising.  It is not in the spiritual realm at all.

David was trained as a child by his parents to take care of the sheep and it was during this season that God began to visit David in a strong way. 

I believe that children in school are visited by God.  In your home, train them to have their devotions and how to put things up.  It gives order in their life.  You cannot serve God without order.

Before David was anointed he was visited by God.  He knew God in all seasons of his life.  God began to develop David’s character when he was very young.  These little souls have a lot bigger plan from God than them being toddlers, in sports, etc.  These are short seasons that we pass through.

I was a teenager when I got my first bicycle.  I still remember the thrill of being able to balance that bicycle.  There must be training that goes on for character to be built.  The children know, “I have a parent, I have grandparents.”  There must be respect in order for there to be character.  If our daughters never respected us as parents then they would never know God. 

If your parents cannot be respected, you must forgive them and know God anyway.

David had manners, he knew how to worship, he was trained to take care of sheep, and he was trained for a higher calling.  Remember that we are being trained for a very high purpose here on earth.

When you walk into the rest-home this afternoon may God help you to walk into the rest-home with the glory of the presence of God on you.  We are trained for a very high calling.

For whatever you are trained for, just getting an A in the class is not enough, “God help me to get this so that I am qualified to work for God.”  You need to live for more than gardening, hunting, photography, etc.  God has a whole lot higher training for each of us than any of these things.

Allowed to be trained by God:  it is important for you as parents and grandparents to allow your children to be trained by God.  There are some things that your children will only know by someone else teaching them.  May God help you and me to be teachers with the ornament of the glory of God in our lives that we are not just a critic, but we are filled with the glory of God in our life.

David was a teenager.  It is almost set in stone that David was anointed to be king as a teenager.  Some in this audience are teenagers.  Those younger will be in a few years. 

I want to tell you children, Jesse had eight sons.  Teenagers, all the sons before David were older, good looking, talented, and gifted in a lot of ways.  I fear that they may have been sitting around the house and the teenager was out working. 

It was when David was a teenager and all the sons of Jesse came before Samuel that God, with all majesty, said, “That is not the one.”  There is a God in heaven that looks into the hearts of individuals.  He had been preparing one for years. 

Samuel said, “We are not going to celebrate anything or eat.  Go get the one that is missing.”  David, the teenager, was young and ruddy.  He came in.  God had already told Samuel, “I judge not after the outward appearance, I judge the heart.” 

The testimony that God gave Samuel, “The lord has a man after His own heart.”

I feel as David this morning, “Blessed be God!”  It is the greatest of privilege to do our best to encourage young men and ladies to when God deals with them to respond to God.  There is in the nature of children to choose their own way.  But have faith in God and challenge souls to prepare their heart for God and His work.  Be an individual before God.

Act 13:22  And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

Mark it in your Bible and when I am an old man come and tell me.  David was anointed when he was a teenager.  I believe that children will have God’s hand put upon them.  This eternal God is ready to meet any and every soul that says, “My heart will be thy heart and I will do your will at any cost.” 

When you say that you say, “I am going to die to self and this world and going to be bigger than we are.”  God wants us to have a vision that is bigger than we are and have a vision that goes past our life time.

May God help us in Paradise to say, “This heart is God’s and I’m going to do His will with my life.”  Get your heart right with God and find out what He has in His mind for you. 

You want to be happy? Find a job serving God.  You can go to bed happy, sleep or stay awake happy, get up happy, and have something wonderful to do.

David came back at the end of his journey sand said, “All the majesty goes to Him.” 

As an adult David met Goliath.  As an adult David met Saul.  As an adult David met Jonathon. 

Had David not defeated Goliath, the Philistines would have defeated them.  Know your Goliath, defeat him and then don’t resurrect him. 

Remember when Saul wanted to know, “Who is that young man?”

1Sa 17:58  And Saul said to him, Whose son art thou, thou young man? And David answered, I am the son of thy servant Jesse the Bethlehemite.

1Sa 18:1  And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.

David met Goliath, Saul, and Jonathan. 

Jonathan’s soul was knit with the soul of David.  God wants your soul knit with Him.  He also wants us to be knit with the body of Christ so that we have someone to help in the time of need. 

Jonathan loved David.  This has really spoke to me.  God has blessed me, I am a loved man and I really appreciate it.  This congregation is a loved congregation and we appreciate it. 

Jonathan and David made a covenant between each other and something marvelous happened, Jonathan took off his royal garments and gave them to David.

The king’s son!  Here was this shepherd boy; he was dressed in an outfit that may have been bloodstained.  He may have carried weak sheep.  He may have eaten and slept in his garment.  This one loved him so much that he took off his royal garments.  He gave him his sword, his bow, and his girdle. 

God had been preparing Jonathan.  You ought to be able to look through your devotions as to how God is preparing you for something.  If not then I challenge you to have devotions and through them ask, “God what are you preparing me for?”

David longed to work for God.  You must get out of your territory. If all you are concerned about is your life, what you want, how you want it, and what is going on, then you will never do anything for God.

Jonathan undressed that the one that he loved could be dressed right.  Will we let someone help us?  Through Christ we can do all things. 

I thought of the garments and thought of the prodigal.  He received the best garment.  I thought of the scriptures, “Being clothed with humility.”  We will never reach the place where there are not greater depths of humility before God and before each other. 

There is no majesty in me.  I am human and unless God helps me I am nothing.  The depths of humility that we can reach is all for our benefit.

I want to hate even the garment spotted by the flesh. 

The sword that is the Word of God.  Jonathan’s heart was prepared.  He wanted David to have the best outfit that he had.  He wanted to give him his sword and his bow. 

He gave him his girdle.  It is the strongest desire and the will of God that we give others the girdle of truth.  Without truth people are open to the perils of false doctrine and of sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment