Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bro Gary Sunday Morning 4/8/12


Bro Gary Sunday Morning 4/8/12
Joh 6:44  No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Jesus was leaving the thought with His disciples, “I am going to the cross, and if I obey the father and become the perfect sacrifice for sin, I will also become the one that draws all men to Him.”

To think that Jesus was so willing to pay the price that He might draw us unto Him and the Father was interested in drawing us to Him clear down here in 2012.

All four of the evangelists record this season in the life of Christ.  I will stick for the sake of time to the recording that John left us. 

Jesus was troubled in His spirit and then said:

Joh 13:21  When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

We’ve been taught from childhood that Jesus went to Gethsemane and prayed earnestly that this cup would pass from Him.  He didn’t want to be crucified.  “Nevertheless, not my will but thy will be done.” 

We had no way to pay for our sin.  Jesus knew this and the Father knew this.  Jesus, the only son of God, was the only one that could pay for our sin.

Joh 13:22  Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spake.
Joh 13:23  Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.
Joh 13:24  Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake.
Joh 13:25  He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?
Joh 13:26  Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.

Jesus didn’t name him but said, “When I dip the piece of bread, I will give it to him…” 

The disciples didn’t have it all together what was going to happen.  I as well as many in this audience have things held before God; we don’t know how God is going to work it all out.  As the song says, “I don’t know about tomorrow.” 

I want to encourage everyone in this audience to take time very seriously.  Once time is gone, there is no calling back yesterday.

This was a crucial time for Jesus, for the disciples, and for all that was there.  Right in the midst of this Jesus gave the words that have comforted many then and since:  “Let not your heart be troubled…”

Joh 14:1  Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
Joh 14:2  In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

At such a crucial time Jesus said, “Let not your heart be troubled.”   There would be those among us that are really concerned and praying about some things.  “You believe in God, believe also in me.”

Jesus said, “I am the way.”  It is wonderful that we always have someone to follow.  Jesus is still going before us.  It is a wonderful blessing that He is the way, the truth…  It is wonderful to not be following a deceiver.  He is the life.  We thank God for that.

Joh 15:1  I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

I’m so glad that we can be graft into that true vine.  From a source that is true and always holy we can receive life.

Joh 15:9  As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
Joh 15:10  If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
Joh 15:11  These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
Joh 15:12  This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
Joh 15:13  Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Joh 15:14  Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Looking back we can grasp that Jesus was laying down His life for the disciples and not only for them, but for those that would believe on Him through their word. 

He placed this example for you and me so that we would lay down our lives and do our very best as we live for Him.  We challenge you and you challenge me to do our very best for our brothers and sisters in Christ.   
When we give out, and God pours in, then we can trust that there will be others pouring out when it is our time to be on the receiving end.

Even though this took place many years ago, we are blessed that He arose and is sitting on the right hand of the father ever making intercession for us.

Joh 18:1  When Jesus had spoken these words, he went forth with his disciples over the brook Cedron, where was a garden, into the which he entered, and his disciples.
Joh 18:2  And Judas also, which betrayed him, knew the place: for Jesus ofttimes resorted thither with his disciples.
Joh 18:3  Judas then, having received a band of men and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, cometh thither with lanterns and torches and weapons.
Joh 18:4  Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?
Joh 18:5  They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.
Joh 18:6  As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.
Joh 18:7  Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth.
Joh 18:8  Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way:
Joh 18:9  That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.
Joh 18:10  Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.
Joh 18:11  Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?
Joh 18:12  Then the band and the captain and officers of the Jews took Jesus, and bound him,
Joh 18:13  And led him away to Annas first; for he was father in law to Caiaphas, which was the high priest that same year.

Jesus told Pilate and others, “Except God had allowed you to do this it could not have been done.”  God allowed this and Jesus allowed this to happen.

Joh 18:14  Now Caiaphas was he, which gave counsel to the Jews, that it was expedient that one man should die for the people.

Jesus was betrayed, led away, and then He had four different trials, mock trials.  He went before the High Priest, before Pilate, before Herod, and then back before Pilate again.

Joh 19:1  Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged him.

It is so amazing to me how divided Pilate was.  He knew that there was no crime that Jesus had committed.  Yet he felt bound and pressured.  He gave into the pressures and continued giving into them. 

This scourging was a fulfillment of Isaiah: 

Isa 53:4  Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5  But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

A scourging is one of the most inhumane things that I can think of.  It is a whipping with a leather strap with rock or metal on the end.  It was designed to go across the back and when it made contact, it literally dug into the flesh and when it was pulled out, it caused not only pain but blood to flow. 

Pilate had this done in fulfillment of what Isaiah had said, 700 to 800 years before Christ.  That: “By His stripes we could be healed.” 

There is no road that anyone in this audience can travel where there will not be a need for healing before we get to the end of that road. 

We would all agree that children shouldn’t feel pain.  Young people should be protected from pain.  You know it and I know it that there is a lot of pain.  There is pain for children. 

This is how life is.  God knew that it would be that way.  God knew that of all the remedies that are in the world, (“Don’t think of it, be tough, don’t let it hurt you…” given with the best intent of heart), there would be no healing without Jesus.  Pain is a reality. 

There is a song, “When He was on the cross, I was on His mind.”  When He was taking the stripes, He could look down the corridors of time and see my pain.  God, His Son, and the Holy Spirit don’t generalize the way we generalize but are very specific concerning our pain and our needs.  Jesus took that scourging and pain so that He could be that healing to us.

Joh 19:4  Pilate therefore went forth again, and saith unto them, Behold, I bring him forth to you, that ye may know that I find no fault in him.
Joh 19:5  Then came Jesus forth, wearing the crown of thorns, and the purple robe. And Pilate saith unto them, Behold the man!
Joh 19:6  When the chief priests therefore and officers saw him, they cried out, saying, Crucify him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Take ye him, and crucify him: for I find no fault in him.

Pilate found no fault in Him but told them to go ahead and take Him and crucify Him.  Pilate again fought to free Jesus.

Joh 19:7  The Jews answered him, We have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God.
Joh 19:8  When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he was the more afraid;
Joh 19:9  And went again into the judgment hall, and saith unto Jesus, Whence art thou? But Jesus gave him no answer.
Joh 19:10  Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee?
Joh 19:11  Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.
Joh 19:12  And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release him: but the Jews cried out, saying, If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar's friend: whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar.
Joh 19:13  When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus forth, and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called the Pavement, but in the Hebrew, Gabbatha.
Joh 19:14  And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!
Joh 19:15  But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar.
Joh 19:16  Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away.
Joh 19:17  And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:
Joh 19:18  Where they crucified him, and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.

Jesus was led away carrying His cross, He fell under the cross, and He was crucified on the cross.  He did it all for us.  He did it so that there would be a savior until the end of time.  We thank God for it.

Jesus was nailed to the cross; death by crucifixion is very painful.  When I think of Jesus laying on the cross and the nails being driven through his hands and feet!  As He hung on the cross, His feet were only about one foot above the ground, the earth that He created.  He stayed upon that cross because of you and me, the people that He created.

When the soldier pierced His side, out of His side there flowed water and blood.  This fulfilled a prophesy that there would be a fountain opened for our sin.  When the soldier came by to break his bones to hurry his death, Jesus had already died and not one of His bones was broken.

His mother was there and John who wrote this gospel was there as well.  Jesus said, “Woman behold thy son,” and to John, “Behold thy mother.”  Jesus saw that His mother was taken care of.

Before Jesus died, He said, “I thirst.”  They put vinegar on a sponge and held it up there to Him.  He thirsted so that He could identify with our thirst. 

I love waking up hungry and thirsty for God.  I love the presence of God.  I can truly say, “I thirst for God.”

Jesus said, “It is finished.”  That sacrifice was paid for your sin and for my sin.

Joh 19:37  And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.
Joh 19:38  And after this Joseph of Arimathaea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus.
Joh 19:39  And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight.
Joh 19:40  Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.
Joh 19:41  Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid.
Joh 19:42  There laid they Jesus therefore because of the Jews' preparation day; for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.

Joseph of Arimathaea was a secret disciple of Jesus.  It is sad that he was secretive of it.  He showed honor in asking for Jesus’ body and laid Him in the tomb.  Nicodemus brought herbs to wrap the body in.  This was Friday some time toward evening. 

There were those that said, “Let’s really seal this tomb up.”  They received permission to do this.  Very early Sunday morning that seal was no longer sealed.  God had sent an angel or angels.  Jesus arose.

Joh 20:11  But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
Joh 20:12  And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
Joh 20:13  And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
Joh 20:14  And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.
Joh 20:15  Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
Joh 20:16  Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
Joh 20:17  Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
Joh 20:18  Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.

Of all the wonderful things that your mind can imagine for life to afford you, there is nothing so precious as having Jesus know your name and call your name.  He did it for Mary, He’s done it for millions, and He is doing it again today. 

Jesus brings peace to our past.  Every one of us has a past.  People look upon the saints and think that they have always been this way; we have not always been this way.  It is wonderful that in our past Jesus came to us.  We were given a choice to obey. 

Mary had done everything that she knew to serve God.  This morning Jesus speaks to us according to our need.  If we have sin in our life, Jesus speaks to us our name.  He is calling us, away from our past and our sin and to repentance.

Jesus speaks peace to our present.  This doesn’t always mean that the problem is over, or that the answer to our situation is here.  Instead He says, “Son or daughter you can put that in my lap.” 

Jesus knows what it is to be troubled.  He was troubled.  He can identify with you and with me.  He said, “Let not your heart be troubled.”  Thank God you can trust Jesus with your future. 

This is not a new message, it is an old message but it is alive today as it was the day it happened.  He is risen; He is alive.  He is alive forevermore.

On the Isle of Patmos about the year 100 AD Jesus appeared to John and said, “I am alive forevermore and I have the keys of hell and death.”  Thank God for ever more.


No comments:

Post a Comment