Thursday, March 10, 2016

Sister Sunny Sunday Evening 3/6/16



Psa 42:1  To the chief Musician, Maschil, for the sons of Korah. As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.

Psa 42:2  My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?

Psa 42:3  My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?

Psa 42:4  When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday.

Psa 42:5  Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.

Psa 42:6  O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar.

Psa 42:7  Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me.

Psa 42:8  Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.

Psa 42:9  I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?

Psa 42:10  As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God?

Psa 42:11  Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.



The Psalmist is speaking of a time when he was troubled and depressed.  He was reproached by his enemies who asked him, “Where is thy God?”  He felt that he was neglected or forgotten of God, “Why hast thou forgotten me?  Why am I in this battle?”

The battle had gone on day and night.  It had continued for a while.  Yet he encouraged himself:

Psa 42:5  Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.



The help of His countenance:  this is explained as, “His presence is salvation.”  Hope thou in God! 

Cast down - H7817 שׁחח shâchach BDB Definition:

1) to bow, crouch, bow down, be bowed down

1b) (Niphal) to be prostrated, be humbled, be reduced, be weakened, proceed humbly, be bowed down

1c) (Hiphil) to prostrate, lay low, bow down

1d) (Hithpolel) to be cast down, be despairing



Cast down: He was despairing, depressed, and weakened.  He had no recourse save God.  He was without power to deliver himself from the battle.  He was there and was misunderstood and mocked while he was there.  He was cast down in his soul and despairing. 

Why art thou cast down oh my soul? And why art thou disquieted within me?

Disquieted - H1993 המה hâmâh BDB Definition:

1) to murmur, growl, roar, cry aloud, mourn, rage, sound, make noise, tumult, be clamorous, be disquieted, be loud, be moved, be troubled, be in an uproar

1a) (Qal)

1a1) to growl

1a2) to murmur (figuratively of a soul in prayer)

1a3) to roar

1a4) to be in a stir, be in a commotion

1a5) to be boisterous, be turbulent



He was in a turmoil and murmuring.  His soul was disquieted, worried, and in a commotion.  There was unrest, doubt, and a strong desire to be out of the battle, now.  There was impatience and restlessness.  This battle had gone on longer than he had expected. 

Hope thou in God.

Hope - H3176 יָחַל yâchal yaw-chal'

A primitive root; to wait; by implication to be patient, hope: - (cause to, have, make to) hope, be pained, stay, tarry, trust, wait.



Here he, as David did, encouraged himself.  Hope thou in God.  Wait, hope, have patience, stay the course, tarry, and trust. 

For I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance. 

Help - H3444 ישׁוּעה yeshû‛âh BDB Definition:

1) salvation, deliverance

1a) welfare, prosperity

1b) deliverance

1c) salvation (by God)

1d) victory



His presence is salvation.  I will yet praise Him for his salvation.  I hope in God and know that He will deliver, send the victory, and give prosperity in this situation. 

PROSPER'ITY, n. [L. prosperitas.] Advance or gain in anything good or desirable; success; attainment of the object desired;



We must trust that God has things in His hands and will in His perfect time send the deliverance, the victory, and the answer that will be perfect for the need. 

Psa 27:13  I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

Psa 27:14  Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.



Psa 37:7  Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.



Psa 56:3  What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

Psa 56:4  In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.



Psa 71:14  But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.



Job 13:15  Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.



Isa 50:10  Who is among you that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the LORD, and stay upon his God.



Lam 3:24  The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.

Lam 3:25  The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.

Lam 3:26  It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.



Rom 4:18  Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.

Rom 4:19  And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:

Rom 4:20  He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;

Rom 4:21  And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.



Heb 10:35  Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

Heb 10:36  For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment