Thursday, December 27, 2012

Brother Gary Sunday Morning 12/23/12



Brother Gary Sunday Morning 12/23/12
Luk 2:16  And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.

He is our joy, our life; He is our author.  We are blessed!

They found Mary and Joseph and the babe lying in a manger: This is exactly what the angels told the shepherds that they would find.  It is a wonderful thing when the Lord sends us a message.  He has a way of speaking His Word to us in the exact season of life that we are in. 

Luk 2:1  And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.
Luk 2:2  (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)
Luk 2:3  And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
Luk 2:4  And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)
Luk 2:5  To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
Luk 2:6  And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
Luk 2:7  And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
Luk 2:8  And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
Luk 2:9  And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
Luk 2:10  And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
Luk 2:11  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
Luk 2:12  And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
Luk 2:13  And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
Luk 2:14  Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
Luk 2:15  And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.
Luk 2:16  And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.

I don’t know what has come into your life in this season, but we know that God has designed that He be the governor of our life.  We are sometimes faced with situations that we don’t know what to do with but remember that we are not our own.

This virgin was carrying a child that wasn’t Joseph’s.  What an awkward situation to find oneself in!  I don’t like awkward situations but there were millions before us in awkward situations where the seasons of life didn’t produce the storybook that they wanted.  If we stay rightly related to God, to our brothers and sisters in Christ, and rightly related to sinners, God can bring a miracle right into our life. 

Mary and Joseph were on this road trip where they were to be taxed.  While they were there the days were accomplished that she should bring forth her son.

God has set things in order for your life and for everyone else’s.  God help us to know that we can’t orchestrate our life.  You will wear yourself sick and miserable if you try.  If we can realize that we are God’s and God knows what He is doing, then it will help us.

God knew all the time that Mary and Joseph were on the brink of bringing a miracle into the situation.  We are on the brink of a miracle.  One of the meanings of his name is wonderful which means miracle.  He is a miracle working God.  We can anticipate a miracle from God if we stay rightly related to Him.

There was no room for them in the inn.  My heart rejoices whenever someone exhorts that “There is room in my heart for him.”  He is left out and crowded out of many places but we can make room in our hearts, our lives, and our schedules for Him.

God provided Him a place.

The shepherds were busy working and protecting their sheep.  They were afraid when the angels came.  We can identify with this sometimes.  When God draws near we may wonder what it is all about.  God never designed that He be a God afar off.  He desires to be near to us.

When you and I feel the presence of God drawing near to us, we should listen to what God and His angels and His Spirit have to say.

Fear not.  May God help you and me, that no matter what we are facing, we would fear not.  I am not a crepe hanger.  God comes around because He has good things in store.  The angel said, “I want to release you of your fears because I have good tidings in store.”

Remember this.  The angel said, “I bring you good tidings of great joy which shall be to all people.” 

You know this.  You have read your bible and heard marvelous lessons taught and messages preached.  Christ is not for just a select few.  It is not for just one or two.  It was for the lowly shepherds and it was for the wisemen who may have been kings. 

It doesn’t matter what the station of life is that people find themselves in.  The one common denominator that they have is deep discontentment unless they have found the Christ.  It is in all ages, children and the aged are unhappy without Jesus.  The educated and the uneducated, the rich and the poor are unhappy without Jesus.

Unto you is born this day a savior.  We cannot preach too much about the savior.  We cannot study too much about the savior.  Do you know what you have?  Do you really realize what Jesus is? 

He is a savior.  This means seven verbs.  He is all seven.  A verb is action.

He is the deliverer.  It doesn’t matter what you are trying to overcome, it is Jesus that delivers us.  He delivers from sin, self, bad attitudes, bad spirits, and from the war in our mind.  It is wonderful that He delivers us from that terrible mind war.  He came as a deliverer and a savior.

He is a preserver.  God has ordained that we be preserved.  I look across this audience and see gifted people using their talents for God.  He wants you to be preserved in all that you have, but he never wants you to plateau.  If you do the next step is downhill.

Your body will not always be agile, your mind will lesson in sharpness.  God doesn’t want you to reach the age where you plateau.  As long as you live you can be challenged to have less of you and more of God every day of your life. 

As I become less able in lots of ways, I can become more enabled because I have more of God in my life.  I want to learn to pray better, to witness better.

He is the life giver.  “I will serve thee because I love thee; you have given life to me.”  How terrible our life was in sin.  I shudder to think if I was alive and had spent my life in sin where I would be.  I would rather have Jesus and live as a pauper than to have riches untold and not have life on the inside.

He is the giver of an escape.  Everyone in this audience will have snares and temptations presented to them.  We have this treasure in an earthen vessel and as long as we live we will need a way of escape. 

He gives the escape.  We try to find a way out, but there is a right kind of escape from what you are faced with.  If you will look up to a savior and not to man to be your savior then you will find the way of escape.  Don’t try to be someone’s savior because you don’t have the qualifications.  He gives a way of escape.

He is a confidant, one that you can go to and trust.  I think as I go into the closet, “Heavenly father no one knows that I am here but you.” 

It is wonderful that we can tell Him everything.  We can tell Him that we love Him and want to do something for God’s people and that we want to express our gratitude to this congregation.  You have been wonderful to us, for ten years I was unable to work and you took care of me.

I think of the ones that love us and call, I ask God to open the windows of heaven and pour out a blessing on them.  You can tell Him.  The first one to tell what you are thinking of doing in 2013 is Him.  If you talk it to anyone else then you lesson His ability and the pastor’s ability to help you. 

Suppose sister Beverly and Linda are thinking of buying motorcycles.  I would counsel them to not tell anyone else, but to pray.  Then if you need to come to me for counsel: He is a confidant, “God is this a subject that I should carry further to the pastor?” 

He is a confidant.  God knows; it is He that can put a desire in your heart.  “God I would like this not for a selfish purpose.”  Maybe you would like a bigger house or a bigger oven.  You can talk to God about it.  He knows what is best. 

You can go to Him when you so much want to reach to that neighbor.  I can teach you to pray but I cannot teach you how to reach to that neighbor.  Say, “Oh God you know how to help me know what to do.”  He will lead you and you will look back and say, “I cannot believe I’m here or they come.”

He is our hope.  He wants you to wake up every morning because a savoir has come.  He is the author.  Salvation is not just temporary but goes on forever.  He gives help, safety, victory, health, and deliverance. 

The birth of a savior: He is the savior of all mankind.  He came into this world in the most humble circumstances.  His birth was announced by an angel to lowly shepherds.  There are a lot of people that are down and out in Montana.  Jesus’ burden was announced to lowly shepherds of the most humble of the people.

Unto us is born a savior which is Christ the Lord.  He came to us.  He came for us.  The angels and a heavenly host filled the air, “Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace.”

A lot of us know how to spell peace but do we know peace?  He spoke “peace, good will to men.”

Peace with the past:  If you are blaming anyone for your past then you will never be at peace with it.  They may have done you wrong but He can give you peace.

Peace with the present:  Maybe you don’t want to be working but that is where you are for the day.  God wants you to have peace where you are.   Peace with having leftovers.  Peace with having aged crab-cakes.  It is not what you have in your hand; it is what you have in your heart. 

We don’t know where we will be yet at Christmas.  We have plans made, we’ve confided with God but we don’t know where we will be.  Peace in our heart, confiding in God. 

Jesus is a governor, a king with the heart of a shepherd, “God you are taking care of it, I have peace.”

Live so close that you don’t have a war in your conscience.  Peace when you relive your conversations, your actions, and your motives.  Peace in your conscience.

Peace in our emotions.  Peace in our relationships.  In our family, we have relative that we don’t have relationships with.  It is not what is wrong with them, but what is wrong with me.  If I have done what I could towards them, then I can have peace with it. 

You must draw good lines.  The fact that you want a relationship with your family doesn’t meant that you don’t draw good lines.  You must draw very good lines. 

Peace in all seasons of our life.  I have aged.  I am going through a totally new season.  My father never went through this season, my father died at sixty and my mother at sixty-five.  I am sixty-six.  I cannot chop wood anymore. 

The other day I felt some energy and thought, “I would like to get that power saw and go saw a tree.  I don’t think I could in the season that I am in.  There is pain; the greatest pain is in not being able to do it. 

Peace in our joys: really enjoy your joys.  Take the old albums and enjoy those pictures.  I saw a picture of a bobber in a fishing hole waiting for a fish to bite.  Enjoy your memories. 

Peace in our disappointments.  We are going to have them.  I anticipated Christine to come this morning.  I thought for sure that she would come.  I am extremely disappointed that she is not here.  I have to have peace in my disappointment. 

You may have hoped.  You must know that this giver of peace still gives peace.

Peace when we are loved.  Peace when we are misunderstood.  I’m glad that I burned them all; I would have an album of letters.  It is ok to be misunderstood; you can still have peace with God. 

Peace when you are in church.  Don’t waste your time on funny looks; I cannot help how I look.  Peace in our fellowship.  “I wonder if anyone will come and shake my hand?”  Don’t wait around for someone to come up and laud all over you.  You reach out to them.  Peace in the fellowship.

If we could see our old former pastor and his wife, we would run to greet them.  We wouldn’t wait for them to come to us.  Trisha has been thinking of Amber.  Amber will run in heaven.  Trisha will run to see her.

People are so warped.  Don’t let anyone warp you.

Peace when we are pressured.  This takes lots of God.  Know what God wants you to do and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment