Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Brother Gary Sunday Evening 12/2/12



Brother Gary Sunday Evening 12/2/12
God asked the king write the law with his own hand to keep for himself.  He wanted him to know the Word of God well.  He wanted the king to not lose his identity with his fellow man.  He wanted the king to not multiply his horses, or chariots, or wives. 

David said, “some trust in chariots and some trust in horses but we will remember the name of the Lord our God.”  It is vital that we remember God and the Word of God.

Psa 119:16  I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

The statutes are those that describe the line of our conduct.  God has a way that He wants us to live in our conduct, our home and everywhere.  We want to keep the Word magnified.  He magnified His word above His name.  God doesn’t want us to have the attitude of just taking Jesus and leaving His Word.

Psa 119:83  For I am become like a bottle in the smoke; yet do I not forget thy statutes.

The way containers were made in David’s day they were literally a hide that was formed and hung over a fire to season it so that it would dry to just the right dryness so that if you put liquid in, it would not just leak out.   
There were times that the hide was left too long in the heat and it withered and became brittle and was not good to be used for much.

There are times in our life when we feel that we’ve gone through the fiery trial a long time.  We feel that we’ve had this pain, emotional pain.  There is heat and sorrow with physical pain and with emotional pain. 

We feel that we’ve been in the fire and the heat and we have been God’s vessel in difficult straits and we are dried.  What is important is that, even if the answers don’t come when we feel that they should, that we don’t jump out of the fire but hold steady and hold on course.

Psa 119:93  I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me.

There are times when we feel very dry.  The smoke and the heat, the hurt, the pain, the decision, the indecision, the whole scene leaves us without much inspiration to pray but we need to pray anyway.  That is where the quickening of the Spirit of God comes from. 

Some trust in chariots and others in Horses, but we will remember the name of the Lord.  We have a God that always comes through.  God looks to see what we are going to do when things get that way.  “Are they going to try to do something all on their own or are they going to let me apply the touch of the tender hand of the master.”

You may feel that you are cracked, “This has been so hard and my vessel has been in the heat and the smoke so long that the joy of the Lord leaks out.”  I have my devotions, but as the day progresses I find myself frazzled and upset.  You need to get to the master and tell Him, “God you left me there so in your time you will quicken and restore.”

Psa 119:109  My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law.

God lets us make a choice.  It is important that we make the choice according to the Word of God.

Psa 119:141  I am small and despised: yet do not I forget thy precepts.

There are times that we feel despised.  When you feel that way it is so important that you don’t forget His precepts with which He guides us.

I do not forget thy commandments.  They tell us what to touch and what not to touch.  They guide us into what we should do.

Mat 7:24  Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
Mat 7:25  And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
Mat 7:26  And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
Mat 7:27  And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

The storm is going to come.  The storms come to saints.  All kinds of storms come to saints.  Not only do they come to saints but they come to all.  They come to the wise and to the foolish.

There are a lot of storms that are in individuals lives that haven’t built upon the rock.  What is so dangerous is that unless they allow the storms of life to cause them to seek after God, ‘the house fell and great was the fall of it.’  If we are not built upon the solid rock, things will fall apart.

Being sharp doesn’t accomplish what is needed.  We must build upon the foundation, the storms will come.  We don’t know how the enemy will come at us.  If we are built upon the solid rock then we can stand. 

When people leave God because things didn’t go the way they thought it should, what do they think building on the sand will accomplish?  It will not go the way they want.

Heb 6:19  Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
Heb 6:20  Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

He is talking about a ship on a storm tossed sea that is trying to make it into a port.  The storm was so strong and the area around the port was so dangerous that they were not able to make it completely into the port but threw out the anchor and by doing so were able to wait out the storm.

We will face some heavy storms: discouragement, heartache, financial storms, dismay, grief, bereavement.  (You never face a tomb stone without thinking of others that you’ve lost that are in eternity.)  What will we do when these challenges come?  They will not leave with a click of a finger.  God has ordained that we have an anchor.

You may feel that you’re ship is rocking and the winds are blowing.  You may feel that the enemy would like to take your ship out and cause you to be lost at sea, but say, “I’m going to throw the anchor out and one of these days God will come and calm the storm and I will be able to pick up the anchor and go on into port.”
  1. My soul in sad exile was out on life’s sea,
    So burdened with sin and distressed,
    Till I heard a sweet voice, saying, “Make Me your choice”;
    And I entered the “Haven of Rest”!
    • Refrain:
      I’ve anchored my soul in the “Haven of Rest,”
      I’ll sail the wide seas no more;
      The tempest may sweep over wild, stormy, deep,
      In Jesus I’m safe evermore.
  2. I yielded myself to His tender embrace,
    In faith taking hold of the Word,
    My fetters fell off, and I anchored my soul;
    The “Haven of Rest” is my Lord.
  3. The song of my soul, since the Lord made me whole,
    Has been the old story so blest,
    Of Jesus, who’ll save whosoever will have
    A home in the “Haven of Rest.”
  4. How precious the thought that we all may recline,
    Like John, the beloved so blest,
    On Jesus’ strong arm, where no tempest can harm,
    Secure in the “Haven of Rest.”
  5. Oh, come to the Savior, He patiently waits
    To save by His power divine;
    Come, anchor your soul in the “Haven of Rest,”
    And say, “My Beloved is mine.”
I remember hearing this song sung by the father of a boy that was killed in a four-wheeler accident.  When he invited Karen and me into their home, they showed us the boy’s room and they had kept it exactly as it had been the day the boy died. 

There will be difficult times.  We are blessed to be able to cast our anchor.

No comments:

Post a Comment