Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Brother Bill Tuesday Evening 11/20/12



Brother Bill Tuesday Evening 11/20/12
This lesson is one that I studied for me.  I have a good job, there may be people that make more money, but I don’t care about that.  I’m not trying to keep up with the Jones.  I like my job, but because of the stresses and all, there are times that I look forward to the time when I can lay the stresses aside and leave the job behind. 

I endeavored to get a hold of myself, not only from that but also from the focus on the troubles of our nation.  This and that issue would consume my conversation.  I spent my time talking of things which I can do nothing about.  I got a hold of myself and thought, “I need to get my focus on the Word of God.” 

My days will go a lot better if I will have my focus on where it should be.  We only have so much time in this life and our years will be all done.  I endeavored to work toward that.  I think our life will be better if we have our focus right: if it is focused on things that are of real value.

Rom 13:11  And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
Rom 13:12  The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
Rom 13:13  Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.
Rom 13:14  But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Knowing the time:  We don’t have much time.  Some of these years right now are some of the best years that we have left.  Part of my best years are gone: as far as my strength, and so on.  Yet some of my best years are before me.  The school system where I work is my harvest field.  Wherever you are at, that is your harvest field.  Be focused on your harvest field.  Help me Lord.

‘Honestly’ here means decently: in a seemly manner, peaceably. 

‘Drunkenness’ means an intoxicant.  We can get intoxicated with issues and things.  There is a co-worker at the school that in conversation, we could get on a tangent of: the wolves, those people that are on welfare, or the decisions on money spending.  He thinks like I do so we could get all worked up.  We could get drunk on that.

I got to the place where I thought, “I’m going to stay away from getting involved on that.”  There are things that we are limited on as to what we can do; the Bible says to pray for our leaders.  Whoever is president whether you agree with it or not, pray for them that if God would will that He would help them to make right decisions.  Pray that God would work on the behalf of our nation. 

I’m not saying that it is wrong to be concerned or that we should have our head in the sand, but those things can take our focus from what our focus needs to be on. 

‘Not in strife’: quarrel contention, debate, envying, excitement of mind, ardor, fervor of spirit, getting all worked up, ardor in pursuing or embracing or defending anything. 

We don’t have time to mess around with these stupid issues.  We need to focus our time on the Word of God and studying the Word of God. 

Eph 5:14  Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

This is what people need.  People can get worked up trying to fix things in society but what they need is to try to get the root taken care of.  You get the root taken care of and people will live right.  You get the root taken care of and people will get to work.  If the root is taken care of then people will not have abortions. 

We may not be able to do much but we can work with one person at a time.

God can do exceedingly abundantly above all we can ask or think.

God can do a great work if we let Him.  Great things can be done if we serve God and let Him work as He wills.  Walk right.  Focus on souls and focus on yourself.  We can pray and God can move mightily.  He will. 

Eph 5:15  See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
Eph 5:16  Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

‘Redeeming the time’ means to buy up, ransom, rescue from loss, improve opportunity.  What better way can we improve opportunity than to have our focus on what is important.  Make wise and sacred use of every opportunity to do good.  Make good use of your time. 

Eph 5:17  Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
Eph 5:18  And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

The will of God is for us to serve Him.  I’ve expressed what drunkenness is.

Eph 5:19  Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Eph 5:20  Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
Eph 5:21  Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

I endeavored to get a hold of myself and determined to have my focus not on trying to get through my work years or on these crazy issues.  I endeavored to get my focus on God, His Word, and serving Him.

I have my devotions in the morning, and so do you, but throughout the day, where ever you are at, take time to focus on God.  Get off by yourself on your break and call out to God, “Oh God work with these souls.” 

It was a help to me to get my focus on that which we are here for anyways. 

These scriptures show a fellowship with God and a drawing nigh to God.

Col 4:1  Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.
Col 4:2  Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;

Pray. 

Col 4:3  Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:
Col 4:4  That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.

Pray for each other that God would give us a door of utterance to souls.  He can do this. 

Col 4:5  Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.
Col 4:6  Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Have your being in such an atmosphere where you are portraying a godly attitude and a godly atmosphere instead of a worked up atmosphere.  I’ve felt bad in the past for getting worked up and bringing out my opinion on an issue.  Let’s have an atmosphere where we are walking with wisdom toward them that are without.  With your speech always is with grace seasoned with salt. 

Redeem the time; make good use of your time.

1Pe 3:15  But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

‘Sanctify’ means to separate from profane things and dedicate to God.  Consecrate things and people to God.  It means to purify internally by the renewing of your soul.  Spend that extra time, even if it is a few minutes here or there praying that God would give you an open door and help you work with souls.

This can help us to be ready to give an answer. 

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

I must work the works of Him that sent me while I am still alive, while it is still my day.  The night comes when no man can work.  After we have laid our bodies down we cannot work anymore, it is our night.   Today is the day for us to work for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment