Monday, February 16, 2015

Sister Dorothy Sunday School 2/15/15

Sister Dorothy Sunday School 2/15/15
Confidence in the Spiritual world is God reliance.  Our warfare is not carnal.  We can rely on God.
Every battle that was fought in each church age, we have to fight in our day as well.  In Ephesus, they lost their first love.  We have to fight that today. 

Our day gets worse and worse.  I would love to go back to as it was in the 60’s or the 80’s.  It has progressed and the world has gotten very evil.  We must fight it.  He that shall endure to the end shall be saved.

1Jn 5:4  For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

Faith in God.  Faith that will hold and rebuke any unbelief.  This is the victory that overcomes the world.

Rev 12:11  And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Ephesus:
Rev 2:1  Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
Rev 2:2  I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
Rev 2:3  And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
Rev 2:4  Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
Rev 2:5  Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
Rev 2:6  But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
Rev 2:7  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

To overcome we must have steady plodding.  Never give up or lose our zeal.  Never even think about giving up or becoming lukewarm or indifferent.

Adam Clarke - And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb - Here is given the reason why the followers of Christ prevailed at this time against all their adversaries. It was because they fought against the dragon in the armor of God. They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb - by proclaiming salvation to sinners through Christ crucified, and by their continual intercession at the throne of grace for the conversion of the heathen world.
And by the word of their testimony - By constantly testifying against the errors and follies of mankind.
And they loved not their lives unto the death - They regarded not their present temporal estate, but even gladly delivered up their lives to the fury of their persecutors, and thus sealed the truth of what they spake with their blood.

They had on the whole armor of God.  They didn’t just take it but they put it on.

It is victory when we love not our lives but are willing to give them up even though it be a hard thing.  Sometimes we have to get there in our mind; for whatever we need today we receive grace.  He gives more grace when the battle gets stronger.  The blood meets every charge of the enemy.
“I ask them whence their victory came.
They, with united breath,
Ascribe their conquest to the Lamb,
Their triumph to his death.”
To those that overcome, He will give to eat of the tree of life.

1Ti 6:12  Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
1Ti 6:13  I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession;
1Ti 6:14  That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:
1Ti 6:15  Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
1Ti 6:16  Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.
1Ti 6:17  Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;
1Ti 6:18  That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;
1Ti 6:19  Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.
1Ti 6:20  O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21  Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen. The first to Timothy was written from Laodicea, which is the chiefest city of Phrygia Pacatiana.

Lay hold on eternal life!  If you are a servant, be a good servant, if a master, then be a good master.  Some are proud and will tell you that gain is godliness, but godliness with contentment is great gain.  They that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare. 

Follow not these things but … lay hold on eternal life. Verse 19.

In the old church, Sister Martin brought the message on laying hold of eternal life.  She likened it to one of the high-rise builders, if they lost their grip and started to fall, they would lay hold on anything that they could grasp.  If they caught something, they would hold on with all their grip for if they didn’t, they would die.  We need to hold on this way.  If we let go we will die.

Smyrna
Rev 2:8  And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;
Rev 2:9  I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
Rev 2:10  Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
Rev 2:11  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

He had nothing bad to say about them, “I know what you are facing; many things.  Be faithful to death and I will give you a crown of life.”  We can be faithful in what we are doing; just keep on keeping on.

Pergamos:
Rev 2:12  And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;
Rev 2:13  I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
Rev 2:14  But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
Rev 2:15  So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
Rev 2:16  Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
Rev 2:17  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

You’ve held fast my name and not denied my faith.  Beware of those that hold the doctrine of Balaam.

The Nicolaitans thought that because they were under grace they had a license to do anything.  They could live whatever way because they were under grace.  It is our day, “This is the day of grace.  Jesus loves me.”  They take it as a license to do anything.  It was a stumbling block.  They brought it into the place of worship.

When something gets let loose:  I think in Anderson, we held a good standard when I was a young person as far as not being worldly.  It was not long until worldliness came in:  “They are saved, so why isn’t it ok?”  Soon the license to do wrong and not hold the standard was there.  Now they have fallen.  They haven’t even kept the name.

Rev 2:18  And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;
Rev 2:19  I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.
Rev 2:20  Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
Rev 2:21  And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
Rev 2:22  Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
Rev 2:23  And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
Rev 2:24  But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.
Rev 2:25  But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.
Rev 2:26  And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
Rev 2:27  And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
Rev 2:28  And I will give him the morning star.
Rev 2:29  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Verse 19: Works became great, He knew their works more than their faith.  We cannot replace one with the other.  “You’ve done good in charity, faith, and patience.  But you have allowed a so called prophet…”  Heathen worship!  It is sad.  Heathen worship and idolatry; we cannot allow it. 

Sometimes we have to take a stand, not against the individual, but against the spirit of the thing.  We cannot allow the ‘so called’ prophetess to seduce my people.

Sardis:
Rev 3:1  And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.
Rev 3:2  Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
Rev 3:3  Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
Rev 3:4  Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
Rev 3:5  He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
Rev 3:6  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

I know thy works but many are hypocrites.  Overcome and you will have white raiment and I will confess your name before the father.  The world looks for hypocrites and the enemy points them out every time.  We need to be real.

Overcome and you shall be clothed with white raiment and I will confess your name to my father.
Philadelphia:

Rev 3:7  And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;
Rev 3:8  I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
Rev 3:9  Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
Rev 3:10  Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
Rev 3:11  Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
Rev 3:12  Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
Rev 3:13  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

I know thy works:  He had nothing against them.  “I will keep you from the hour of temptation.  Overcome and I will make you a pillar.”

Laodecean. 
Rev 3:14  And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
Rev 3:15  I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Rev 3:16  So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
Rev 3:17  Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
Rev 3:18  I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
Rev 3:19  As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
Rev 3:20  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Rev 3:21  To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
Rev 3:22  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

He had nothing good to say of the Laodicean church.  “You say you have no need:  I don’t need you, I am rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing.  I don’t even need to come to church.”

“Take my counsel, take my robes, take the eye-salve and anoint your eyes, repent.  Overcome and I will grant you to sit with me in my kingdom.”

We have to overcome lukewarmness.  How do we battle it?  What are our tools and possessions to overcome with?  Prayer, zeal, it will help us overcome. 

We know lukewarmness will be there, it will not sneak up on us if we know.  We can watch, with knowledge of past, present, and future. 

Add to your faith virtue and to virtue knowledge.  All these things are vital to overcoming.  If you don’t know what is going on then find out what you need to add and add it.

When temptations come, we have to choose our attitude.  We have to choose whether we will be lukewarm or not.  When accusations come we have to choose whether we will let our past blunders or mistakes harass us.  When unjust things happen or hopes are delayed, we have to choose whether we will let that oppress us or overtake us.

Happiness doesn’t depend on anything that is external but on living an overcoming life.  Overcoming day by day.  Putting on the whole armor of God:  it fits me perfectly in my circumstances of life.  Your armor fits you for your circumstances in life. 

We can be as David when Saul gave him his armor.  David said, “I cannot use this, I haven’t tried it.”  He had already tried the sling and the stones.  We cannot take someone else’s armor but what God has given us, fits perfectly.

Rev 3:11  Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

2Ti 4:7  I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
2Ti 4:8  Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Isn’t this what we want?  There is a crown of righteousness laid up; the Lord the righteous judge will give me.

Our investments and treasures are riches unseen.  They roll over and pay high dividends.  They are new every morning. 

Not all possessions we hold are tangible.  The wiles also are not all tangible and cannot be seen.  We recognize them only by the Spirit of God.

We are in a spiritual warfare and overcome only by God’s help and power.  We can stand only while we are withstanding and not running.  When Moses came to the red sea, God told him to stand still and see the salvation of the Lord.

Isa 40:1  Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
Isa 40:2  Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for all her sins.

We can overcome by the blood of the lamb.  Our warfare is accomplished.

The wiles of the enemy:  last week Sister Brenda asked, “How do we prepare for disappointment?”  I gave a pat answer, “Say, “Not my will but thine be done.”” 

How do we prepare for some feelings that come on us?  All at once we walk a week or two and haven’t felt God close, how do we overcome?  The enemy wants to come in and say, “You are not even saved.”  You get down to pray and you feel that you are not ever touching God.

The Lord has helped me to realize that “That is just a battle, it is not real.”  I even say out loud.  “This is not real.”  If we keep pressing on it will pass. 


No comments:

Post a Comment