Thursday, August 15, 2013

Brother Gary Wednesday Evening 8/14/13



Brother Gary Wednesday Evening 8/14/13
I want to talk to you tonight about not letting anything slip away. 

Heb 1:1  God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Heb 1:2  Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
Heb 1:3  Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Jesus is the express image of God the Father.  He is the scepter of righteousness.

Any of the souls that come to God God’s way, He will hold the scepter out to them and He will be fair to them.  Sometimes life is not fair.  God is always fair and He is always just.

Heb 1:8  But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

God in His greatness of Him being God the Father, God the son, and God the Holy Spirit:  He is great but yet He has an innumerable company of angels.  Paul wrote the Hebrews dealing with the thought of the angels.

Heb 1:14  Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

We have a right to look for glorious things.  The reason is that the preeminent thing in our mind and heart is to please God.  Not only is there God but there is an innumerable company of angels to protect us.  We need literal protection and we need spiritual protection. 

My thought on the situation of the 16 year old girl that was kidnapped is to not live in fear but when God or an angel speaks to you never ‘boohoo’ it.  Take it as serious as it is.

Heb 3:1  Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

‘Wherefore’ refers back to chapter one and chapter two.  It speaks of His greatness.  We need to give the more earnest heed lest at anytime we should let things slip. 

We have been so blessed to hear preachers like Brother McConahae.  Brother Emerson Wilson when he preached under the spirit and anointing of God and wrote books that are so valuable.  Brother Turnbow and Brother Chancellor that used to come every year in the fall. 

We don’t just have one or two things to hold in our hand but God has given us many things to help us. 

It is so easy to let things slip away.  When I was 12 or 13 years old, my brother gave me a twenty dollar bill.  I was so happy that I just kept it right in my hand and it wasn’t very long and he slipped it away.  We have an enemy that wants to take more than a 20 away from us. 

Draw good lines.  Parents don’t be a nagger; teach your children right.  Children don’t lose your manners when you go to school.  You have been taught to have good devotions.  Don’t let anything slip these marvelous truths away.

Wherefore:  We are so blessed to have been called.  Most of us in this audience He called more than once.  I really thank Him for it.  The picture wouldn’t have been pretty if he had not called me more than once: the regrets and probably in eternity if he hadn’t called me more than once.

Jesus was faithful to the Father.  He is worthy of more glory than Moses.  God built all things.  Moses was faithful as a servant for a testimony.  Jesus as a son over His house wants to take care of the house of the individual and collectively as the church.

Heb 3:6  But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Hold fast your confidence in God. 

Php 1:6  Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Hold fast the confidence:  God will take me through the rest of August.  Hold fast through School.  God will enable me to stay saved and be a witness wherever I am this year.  The rejoicing of the hope is that God will do what He has promised.

2Ti 1:12  For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Paul was unjustly a prisoner in Rome when He wrote this.  Life may not have been good to you.  It is important that we realize that, “I cannot focus on what I cannot do anything about.” 

Timothy’s grandmother had faith in God.  I don’t know where his grandpa or dad was.  His dad was a Greek.  God help us to be good dads.  Help us to be expressive and show our faith in God.

Grandmas have faith in God.  Sister Peter told the surgeon when her son had half of his head blown off, “He cannot die; he is not saved.”  We need to stand firm.  Sometimes the toughest thing in life is to look something face on as to how terrible it is.  When we do then we can say, “Dear God, we cannot let my grandson, my granddaughter, my son, my daughter be lost.”

Paul was in prison and Nero was trying to add more blame to him than what he was already being blamed for.  He was trying to blame Paul for burning Rome.  He stepped out to write to Timothy from the prison cell with chains and said, “God hasn’t given us a spirit of fear but power, love and a sound mind.”

He was saying, “You can trust Jesus.”  We can trust Jesus.  Paul wrote, “I have a chain but don’t be ashamed of it.”  I am in prison because I preach, I‘m an apostle, and I teach. 

2Ti 1:12  For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Sometimes a lot of work is involved in getting everything committed to God.

The vastness and completeness of all that Paul committed to God!  The vastness and completeness of all that you and I need to commit to God!  It is something to get things committed to God.  After we commit it then the next greatest challenge is keeping it committed.  It is an everyday job.

The privilege that we can be saved and commit things into the hands of almighty God!  As pastor it is my responsibility to teach the children, the young people, and the adults to learn how to commit all things to God.  If we get things committed He is able to keep that which we commit.

I think of the commitment of the man that prayed through his life that four friends get saved.  In his lifetime three of them were saved but he had committed it to God and after his death the fourth got saved.

The concerns for children:  There are some concerns for children.  Some are starting a new school and are scared.  We all can understand.  Children can be thankful that your daddy is not a drunkard.  My dad was a drunkard.  I’m so thankful that he got saved. 

The concerns of parents and grandparents:  You look at your grandchildren and we must get them committed to God.  This world has a plan to destroy those little guys.  There is one thing that you can do you can learn this truth that Paul learned.  I am persuaded and I have it committed to God. 

The concerns of pastors:  Oh God, help pastors.  The concerns of teachers:  We have public teachers and Sunday school teachers. 

The concerns we are in perilous times.  It is a terrible thing when men position themselves to build walls that separate God’s people. 

Wandering times:  They wander off into this position and make big issues over whatever it is.  They wander off and let truths slip and make big issues over something else. 

Hold fast these things.  God has a way of working when we commit things to Him.

I think of that lady that had three children that the courts had given to her husband.  She was the one that was held in disdain because she served God.  She prayed and hoped against hope.  She prayed, “God those are your children and they need to be in my care.  One day that unsaved husband knocked on her door, “Here are the children and I will give you no more trouble.”

Hold fast the rejoicing unto the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment