Sunday, October 2, 2011

Bro Gary Wednesday Night 9/28/11

Bro Gary Wednesday Night 9/28/11
Eph 5:17  Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

Be challenged to know what the will of the Lord is and do it.
Eph 5:18  And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

In times gone by most drunkenness was from alcohol.  Today people are getting drunk in ways and means that we cannot even grasp.  God help us to be sober minded. 

“The Spirit” refers to the Holy Spirit of God.  We need to be filled with the Holy Spirit of God.

Eph 5:19  Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

“Speaking to yourselves in psalms” is mostly referring to the psalms of the Old Testament.  God help us to know what to talk to others about and what to talk to your own self about.

Examples of psalms in the Old Testament:

The Song of Hannah: The old priest thought that Hannah was drunk.  She was moving her lips but no sounds were heard.  She told him that she was not drunken but that she was there with a heavy burden.  He spoke kind words to her and told her that God would grant her request.  She came back with her request fulfilled: God had granted her a son. 

1Sa 1:24  And when she had weaned him, she took him up with her, with three bullocks, and one ephah of flour, and a bottle of wine, and brought him unto the house of the LORD in Shiloh: and the child was young.
1Sa 1:25  And they slew a bullock, and brought the child to Eli.
1Sa 1:26  And she said, Oh my lord, as thy soul liveth, my lord, I am the woman that stood by thee here, praying unto the LORD.
1Sa 1:27  For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him:
1Sa 1:28  Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD. And he worshipped the LORD there.

1Sa 2:1  And Hannah prayed, and said, My heart rejoiceth in the LORD, mine horn is exalted in the LORD: my mouth is enlarged over mine enemies; because I rejoice in thy salvation.
1Sa 2:2  There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.
1Sa 2:3  Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed.
1Sa 2:4  The bows of the mighty men are broken, and they that stumbled are girded with strength.
1Sa 2:5  They that were full have hired out themselves for bread; and they that were hungry ceased: so that the barren hath born seven; and she that hath many children is waxed feeble.
1Sa 2:6  The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up.
1Sa 2:7  The LORD maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up.
1Sa 2:8  He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, and he hath set the world upon them.
1Sa 2:9  He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail.
1Sa 2:10  The adversaries of the LORD shall be broken to pieces; out of heaven shall he thunder upon them: the LORD shall judge the ends of the earth; and he shall give strength unto his king, and exalt the horn of his anointed.

The song of Moses:

Exo 15:1  Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.
Exo 15:2  The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.

The song of Asaph:  Evidently there were some nights when He didn’t sleep.

Psa 77:6  I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.

“Hymns” refer to the songs in the New Testament.  In the Gospel after the Last Supper they sang a hymn and went out.  They believe that was Psalms 108-Psalms 113.

Paul didn’t do away with the Old Testament songs and hymns.  He then said, “and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.”  Spiritual songs are usually attributed to those songs written by the saved Gentiles.  One could say we came out of nowhere with no hope and God in His mercy sent a savior.  In His mercy He saved us. 

There is Music in My Soul:

Since I have found my Savior, Bowed to his control,
There’s everlasting music ringing in my soul.

There is music in my soul, O there is music in my soul;
‘Tis my glory ever singing, “Heaven’s balm has made me whole;”
There is music in my soul, O let the happy tidings roll!
Let it roll, Let it roll, O there’s music in my soul.

In the old days when they were building, they first got the corner stone set and then they drew a line from one corner to the other and they knew the other line from corner to corner had to be the same length. 

The lines in the children’s lives will not be right if the line is not right in the parent’s.  It takes God and having a savior for things to be right in our life. 

We must have lines in our life.  The Holy Spirit draws lines in our life.  Thank God for the lines.  The only way that we as adults can be good to our children is to have good lines.  It is wonderful that God is drawing lines that help us to treat one another right.  There are no big I’s and no little you’s in God’s church.

My Dad had a 6th grade education and got saved in a cow barn.  He was not looked down upon by the brothern and he didn’t exalt himself above anyone else.

The greatest battle ever fought is the one that we fight against self.  “Men shall be lovers of themselves,” this is the ugliest thing that you have ever seen.  God wants us to have music in our soul.  We live in a world that will leave you bitter, faultfinding, and with a ton of excuses.

Music ringing in our soul!  This man that wrote the song didn’t have all the blessings that we have.  He had heartache.  DS Warner buried a little daughter.  He had lines drawn. He said, “I bow to God’s control.”

 
There is music in my soul, O there is music in my soul;
‘Tis my glory ever singing, “Heaven’s balm has made me whole;”
There is music in my soul, O let the happy tidings roll!
Let it roll, Let it roll, O there’s music in my soul.

DS Warner was in a railroad station one time with a company and they were singing spiritual songs waiting for a train to come and the ticket agent came out and asked them to sing it again.  This is where the song, “Sing it again.” comes from. 

He woke up some mornings with real needs and asked Jesus to make Him whole.

Eph 5:20  Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Psa 107:1  O give thanks unto the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
Psa 107:2  Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;
Psa 107:3  And gathered them out of the lands, from the east, and from the west, from the north, and from the south.
Psa 107:4  They wandered in the wilderness in a solitary way; they found no city to dwell in.
Psa 107:5  Hungry and thirsty, their soul fainted in them.
Psa 107:6  Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them out of their distresses.
Psa 107:7  And he led them forth by the right way, that they might go to a city of habitation.
Psa 107:8  Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

The word redeemed means “bought back.”  We have been redeemed by the blood of Christ.

If you are saved tonight it is because He redeemed us.  Let me encourage and remind myself and you that the enemy, who is the devil, has one goal and that is to ruin a life and destroy a soul so that they spend eternity in hell.

It is wonderful how God led us to repentance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment