Monday, January 25, 2016

Sister Timberly Sunday School 1/24/16


Sister Timberly Sunday School 1/24/16

Wait not for men to laud,
Heed not their slight;
Winning the smile of God
Brings its delight!
Aiding the good and true,
Ne’er goes unblest.
 
All that we think or do,
Be it the best.



When we want to see the church go forward, sometimes we must take a risk, put our self on the line, and sacrifice our self. 

Watching my girls play basketball teaches me how life is.  Sometimes you must assert yourself a bit to show and state your position. 

God is the God of unique situations; God is moving when your situation is unique. 

A guy that has inspired me, you can watch him on YouTube: Billions in Change, invented five hour energy drink.  This man made billions of dollars in just a few years, he is spending his money to try to help the poor of the world.  It is inspiring to see how he has been unselfish.

One quotation from him that I paraphrase is, “An expert is good at what was.” 

We should stop trying to be experts.  We are just people, the answers are simple: it is getting back to prayer, seeking after God, and studying the bible.

1Th 5:19  Quench not the Spirit.

1Th 5:20  Despise not prophesyings.

1Th 5:21  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.



If the church is going to go forward, we need to seek what God has for the church. 

We want to seek for the leading of the Holy Spirit in our personal lives and private victories; the public victories come from these. 

We don’t want to be Laodicean in the thought “The church is perfect.”  If we are then we will be spewed out of God’s mouth.

Joh 14:15  If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Joh 14:16  And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;



If you are loving God actively then He will come to you as a comforter and He will teach you.  Keep my commandments if we don’t then there will be condemnation and there will be no comfort.

If you are not doing things out of love then it is easy to get legalistic.  “I have my hair right and I showed up to church so things are ok.” 

Joh 14:17  Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.



When we start out with salvation, He is with us and when we get the second work of grace, He is in us.  I am so thankful to have the Spirit of God in me.  It is such a blessing.

Joh 14:18  I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Joh 14:19  Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

Joh 14:20  At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.



We are at that day.  It is neat to know.  We have obeyed the plan of salvation.  We have salvation applied to our heart.  He is in the Father, we are in Him.  We are one with God.  We can trust God to lead us and to use us.  We can step into the shadows, not hold back and not quench the spirit.

We have a work to do.  We are not always on the defensive but can be on the offensive.  We need the leading of the Holy Spirit of God and to know what to do today.  We need to be willing to lay aside our plans for the day and change at a moment’s notice. 

Joh 14:18  I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Joh 14:19  Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

Joh 14:20  At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.



If you obey and keep His commandments you show God that you love Him and you show the World that you love God.  It is returned back to you and you will be loved of the Father.

God will show His way to us.  He will show us our job and show us how to be the church in this exact day.

Joh 14:23  Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Joh 14:24  He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Joh 14:25  These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

Joh 14:26  But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Joh 14:27  Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Joh 14:28  Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.



When God gives us a job to do we just do our best, do it and trust God with the results. 

He brings things to our remembrance.  This takes the fear out of it.  He carries us and helps us to know what we need to know.  He will bring to our remembrance what He has taught us.

When you have so much on your plate and can give it to God, it is wonderful.  It is wonderful to have peace.

He has gone to heaven to prepare a place for us.

The theme of this scripture is less of me and more of Christ.  More love for Christ and more love for souls. 

Quench – to extinguish, literally or figuratively.  You snuff it out: “I don’t want you,” to quench a fire or things that are on fire. 

You could quench either the fire or someone else that is on fire.  Someone could do something different than you or in a different way than you but it could be from God.  You sure don’t want to quench their fire.

Quench – To suppress or stifle of divine influence.  It doesn’t feel good to be quenched.  You don’t have to let it work.  You don’t have to be quenched. 

Brother Gary - I have been desirous of honoring the day my father was converted, March 19, 1949.  A year prior to him seeking after God, he let the Spirit of God be quenched that was trying to help him realize that he needed a changed life. 

We think of quench as action, quenching a fire or the inspiration.  But there can be a quenching by just not obeying and allowing it to decrease instead of increase.  Like with a fire, not adding anything to it, it goes out just neglect.

I studied what the Spirit of God is:

A current of air, a breath, a breeze.  It is a tender thing, easily quenched.  We want to take care of it.  It could be the human spirit, the rational soul, a vital principal, a mental disposition, superhuman: in the case God and His spirit.

He is the third person of the triune God.  He is co-equal with God and is co-eternal.  When we have His spirit in us then we are never alone.  He is the personality of God. 

He emphasizes the work and power of God.  He is never a depersonalized force.  He is not separate from God.  It is Him working. 

The spirit in man is the principal that gives you life.

Things that can quench the Spirit, will quench the Spirit, or has quenched the Spirit in the past: 

  1. Being in a rush will kill the Spirit in my life.  If I am too busy to pray as Brother Gary taught, worship before supplication then it will quench the Spirit in my life.

We need to take time to really get our soul filled in our devotions.  If we lack direction from God daily then we will quench the Spirit.  We must let God control the Church of God.  A lack of prayer can quench the Spirit.  We want to carry a burden for ourselves, for souls, and for our neighbors.

Our neighbor is in trouble, he has had a troubled life.  I have asked God if he is not going to get saved if He will move him out.  He has been there for three years, maybe he is going to get saved.  We need to bear down in faith when these things happen.

We want to pray in the Spirit.  Let God talk to us and move through things in our life.
2. Carnality and pride will quench the Spirit. 

Rom 12:3  For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.



We want to have a humble opinion of our self.  Have you ever had someone continually putting a stumbling block in your way?  Have you experienced power struggles?  Have you experienced opposition?  We have all had it done to us; are we doing it to anyone else?  We want to examine ourselves.

Jas 4:1  From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?

Jas 4:2  Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

Jas 4:3  Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.



If this is the case, then you are looking for something for yourself out of it.  When you bring a lesson if you are looking for something for yourself you are consuming it on your own lusts.  Why are you doing What you are doing? 

Whatever your love language is, is where you are the most vulnerable.  Acts of service is my personal love language.  I like to do things for people.  Maybe the area where you are the most sensitive is your love language.  Make sure you don’t put a road block in someone’s love language area.  If someone likes a thank you, give it.  Don’t withhold it. 

The St Regis children are starved for attention.  Why not give them what they are looking for?  We need to express love to each other the way that they understand it. 

3.  Imaginations: watching for a reaction, looking for their look.  Imaginations are self-centered.  If you are texting people then don’t read into it.  You didn’t hear their tone of voice.  You can ruin anything by overthinking it. 

Rom 1:21  Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.



Imaginations here means discussion, internal consideration that leads to internal debate.  Arguing with someone in your mind is imaginations.  It is self-centered.  Over thinking anything can ruin it. 

4.  Being busy, we are all busy, is no excuse.  We need to try to find each other’s love language.  We are the most important thing to each other here on earth.  We are God’s church here on earth. 

We will be unbalanced sometimes; we need to let God get us back into the center. 

If you are busy then don’t let it be a crutch or excuse. 

2Sa 23:15  And David longed, and said, Oh that one would give me drink of the water of the well of Bethlehem, which is by the gate!

2Sa 23:16  And the three mighty men brake through the host of the Philistines, and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem, that was by the gate, and took it, and brought it to David: nevertheless he would not drink thereof, but poured it out unto the LORD.

2Sa 23:17  And he said, Be it far from me, O LORD, that I should do this: is not this the blood of the men that went in jeopardy of their lives? therefore he would not drink it. These things did these three mighty men.



Anything good that comes from your labor is like that glass of water.  You don’t want to touch it or reach for it.  We want to just pour it out to the Lord.  We will taint it if we touch it. 

Any negative thing that happens, treat the same way.  Pour it out before the Lord. 

If you did what was on your heart to do, you did your work.  Leave the results to God, both the positive and the negative, you cannot touch it.


No comments:

Post a Comment